A butter pie is a traditional savory pie consisting mainly of onions and potatoes. It is also sometimes served on a savory barm cake.
- Plain flour
- Whipped cream
- Sift the flour and salt into a bowl and stir in the butter
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. On a lightly floured surface, roll chilled dough into a circle 12 inches in diameter and 1/4-inch thick. Transfer to a deep-dish 9-inch pie pan, lifting dough to let it settle into corners of pan; do not stretch it.
- Meanwhile, peel the three large potatoes and the onion, cut the potato into thick slices, a little thicker than a pound coin, and the onion into half rings.
- Place pie on a sheet pan and bake in the center of the oven for 25 to 35 minutes, until top looks dry and browned. The filling will form a skin and puff slightly, then deflate as it cools and sets.
- Bake at 180 degrees for about half an until golden, and serve immediately, with pickled red cabbage.